Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Motivations for the Holocaust

As in my previous post, Cas asked the question as to what Hitler's motivations were for wanting to slaughter the jews. Through my research i came across a couple of very interesting quotes on the internet. Obviously, Hitler had some kind of personal connection with wanting to kill the jews- he genuinely believed that they were a lesser race and were subhuman. But it also seems that he chose the Jews, because it was the most practical and logical solution. In a sens, they were the best choice.
"With this very thing in mind I scanned the revolutionary events of history and put the question to myself against which racial element in Germany can I unleash my propaganda of hate with the greatest prospects of success? I had to find the right kind of victim, and especially one against whom the struggle would make sense, materially speaking. I can assure you that I examined every possible and thinkable solution to this problem, and, weighing every imaginable factor, I came to the conclusion that a campaign against the Jews would be as popular as it would be successful" (nizkor.org) My question is- why didn't Hitler work in a more positive light- why didn't he just focus on raising the german's spirits simply by telling them how great and strong they are. Why did he have to raise the german's spirits by lowering the Jew's spirits (or should i just say slaughtering the jews)? He had to find "the right kind of victim"- that sounds almost like a murderer scowering the city below for his perfect target. This clearly wasn't solely chosen by random, or by his own personal connection- but a combination of his personal feelings and by his pragmatic tyrannical feelings. Along with his pragmatic ideals, Hitler felt that the jews "are totally defenseless, and no one will stand up to protect them"- so therefore by attacking the Jews- it is a sure win (same website as before). That seems to be something always on Hitler's mind- his need to win win win.

No comments:

Post a Comment